Friday, June 15, 2007

A Great Day for Felting ~~

This past Sunday was "girls night out" for my three wacky, wonderful friends and me! We were celebrating Cathy's birthday, and this is the bag I gave her. The color combination is a bit out there, but they are colors she loves, and it was her I wanted to please :o) It's a good sized tote bag that is large enough for pattern books, etc. I scaled down the pattern for the orange flower quite a bit, and it was still huge! It made me think of a sea anemone. I also made her a pair of earrings out of green garnet and Hill Tribes Silver beads. The garnets had so much depth ~~ you could look into them and see "stuff" ~~ just beautiful. Anyway, she seemed to really like both of the items, so that made me happy.

I spent quite a bit of time standing in front of the washing machine today as I felted 4 bags. They all turned out fine, and are stretched, stuffed, and drying on my kitchen counter. One is a tote similar to the one I gave Cathy, only in a black, gray, cream color combo. I'd already felted it once, but went round two because I wanted it a little smaller. Also did a purse in the same black, etc. colors for another friend of mine, as well as the bag for my partner in the ITE IV swap. Finally, I did a larger work-horse type bag for myself, but right now it looks a bit drab. I think I see some embellishments in the future for that bag!!! Hopefully I'll have some pictures of these bags to post in a few days.

Today was the last day to mail out the stitch markers in that exchange, so I got mine packed up and sent off. I took two pictures so I could post one, but neither turned out--both were blurry and the color was way off--so, no pictures.

I went with a friend to JoAnn Fabrics today, and we spent all our time there oogling over a group of the most beautiful silky brocades. They were so gorgeous that I actually thought it might be FUN to make a lining for a bag. Is that possible??? I have a feeling I'll be going back for at least a couple of them to give it a try. I have got one Noni bag felted and ready for the lining and handles. I thought I'd go all out and do the whole nine yards that she suggests on her website: lining, purchased handles, AND a plastic canvas liner to give it support.

Picked up a crochet hook tonight for the first time in a while. I had some pretty variagated Berroco Cotton Twist that I thought would make up well into the rectangular bobble accessory bag that is shown on page 54 in the One Skein book by Leigh Radford. I'm about half done with the first side, and it's looking teriffic. It has such a nice feel to it. I'll probably stay up too late working on it before I finally head for bed . . . .

1 comment:

knitty said...

I love that bag you made! I hope you love the one I made for you. It is finished and I hope to mail it off to you sometime this week. Hint-it's coming from Massachusetts.