Wednesday, September 26, 2007

BAD DOG.... BAD, EVIL DOG!!!!

This was the scene in the middle of my living room floor today. Looks innocent enough... like I might have laid it down after carefully sticking the needle through the yarn for safe keeping, right? WRONG!!!
Look Closer. Do you see the the chewed off chunks on the pretty end of my lovely needle. Do ya? Ha? And how about the pointed end. Do ya like the nice little angle that it takes, with tooth marks and slivers of wood sticking out here and there?
How about this? Don'tcha wish you had one of these? A pair, maybe? Well, I do.... Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah!Yup, doggie knitter strikes again. We have a "half door" that keeps the beasts in "their" part of the house when we're not home. Guess someone didn't get it completely latched. (Thank you ever so much, sweet son of mine!) Had to be him, as hubby is out of town till tomorrow, and the kid and I are the only ones around, and I had them all tucked in when I left for work. Grrrrrrrrrr...........

Anyway, that was what greeted me when I got home from a long day of taking my fifth graders on a field trip. We walked a lot, and my feet hurt (a lot!), but it was a good time. The Department of Engineering and Mines at the University had an open house, so we went to see all the cool science things they were showing.


I think everyone's favorite, hands down, was the oobleck. Know what that is? The name comes from a Dr. Seuss book, Bartholemew and the Oobleck. I think that's the name of it. Anyway, it was a mixture of 160 pounds of cornstarch and 25 gallons of water in a very large trough-like container, which had been dug into the ground. If you stuck your hand into it, you pulled out with big globs of slimy looking stuff plopping off your dangling fingers. It would all slide off, back into the "trough" and only a thin film would remain on your hand.


However, AND THIS IS WAY COOL; as long as you kept moving, you could WALK on it. It was set up so the kids could start at one end of the trough and walk, run, hop, or whatever to the other end. It was maybe five feet from end to end. Their feet didn't even get wet. If you stopped, you would start to sink (they said it was about 18 inches deep), but if you kept going, you were fine. I've never seen anything like it, and it really was fun!


There's a Starbuck's in the University Bookstore, and the kidlets had talked me into taking them there on the way back to school. I am blessed with a bunch of fifth graders that like coffee; how cool is that? We sipped mochas and frappuccinos while browsing through books (also a Barne's and Noble in the store) before we went back to school. Twas a good time indeed. Now tomorrow it's back to language and math...

9 comments:

Ursula said...

Ewwww that's rough... at some point or another the dogs meet the knitting and it's just not pretty. It's happened to me more than once, but only once per dog :) Cool science stuff though!

Bubblesknits said...

What a great teacher you are! So, did you walk across it, too? Or did you just let the kids get all the fun? ;-)

Cass said...

Ooo nooooooo!!! So sad for the needle. sniff sniff

you're aces, teach, taking your kids to Starbucks. Niiiiice. :)

Gnat said...

I'm still waiting for my pups to get a hold of my needles. I have been good at keeping them up so far.

That field trip sounds like a whole lot of fun!!! When we take the 8th graders to DC they drink Starbucks all week. :)

Nichole said...

Yikes... I've lost a few DPNs to my precious Lola. Seems like if I put one down on the coffee table it just "happens" to fall to the floor and becomes something for her to explore...a nd well, one chomp and its toast. :/
Lilah (our current foster) has stole yarn & needles right out my hands twice now... but she's *learning*... maybe she secretly just wants to knit... hhmm

StarSpry said...

Bummer about your needle :(

The field trip sounds fun, though!

Dorothy said...

The oobleck sounds fun. Although, I never enjoyed taking kids on field trips. I never felt like I got to see what I wanted to see!

So sorry about the needles - bad doogie!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Yikes! Those are felting needles, now!

Channon said...

See?! I would have liked science if I'd had a cool, fun teacher...

My dogs have learned yarn and such are OFF LIMITS. Doesn't mean I don't knit dog hair into everything though...