Friday, September 21, 2007

Delivered To My Doorstep....

Please don't hate me for winning this beautiful shawl in the blogiversary contest that Grace held recently. After all, I did work hard to be the winner... commenting, posting, linking, and even hunting feverishly for answers to her trivia questions. Yaha. And even after all that work, and mopping the sweat from my brow, I still didn't think I had a chance. Too many entries... that one question I couldn't find the answer to... no way would I win. But I did, and no one was more surprised than me!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH GRACE!
THE SHAWL IS LOVELY AND
I WILL TREASURE IT!!

Look at the stitch detail...
Isn't it just grand???...


When I opened it, I just had to "try it out", so I threw it on over my jeans and t-shirt and went out to my patio for a cup of coffee. Sat there feelin' special, admiring Grace's talent. It was good.

I'm so glad the weekend is here. Today was just way too long, and my sixth period class was just... just... something!! I had the distinct privilege of teaching about "the excretory system" to a class of 7th and 8th graders. A treat that was, let me tell you.

I knew it could get dicey, but I was prepared: Sober face... serious tone of voice... matter-of-fact attitude. But come on people-- how do you talk to kids that age about poop, pee and farts in a dignified manner?? (Of course the book uses words like "feces", "urine", and "flatulence", which is even more uproariously hilarious to the kids!!)

I have to give them credit. They tried; they really did. Volunteered to read aloud and the whole nine yards. But tell me, how does a cute 8th grade boy read aloud to his classmates about constipation without cracking up?? It simply CANNOT be done. No way. No how.

One boy propped his book up on his desk to spare me seeing the tears rolling down his cheeks. However, the book was not large enough to hide his shaking shoulders. It was the kids, not the subject matter, that had me in stitches. I knew I should set the example, but there I was with my bird's-eye view of all of them. Each one would start to read with such confidence, and within a sentence or two I'd hear their voice start to quaver.

At first, I was able to hide my laughter from the kids (ya, right!), but after a while it just got to be too much. I finally just gave up and became part of the meyhem. What kind of teacher am I? Should I be fired? Locked up somewhere, perhaps?

I'll never be the same. Permanently scarred I am. And heaven help me, the reproductive system is only a few pages away....

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

I bet the excretory system is funny for real; reproduction is just going to be embarrassing for them!

I bet years from now, your students will still be talking about that great teacher who joined in the laughter!

trek said...

::snort::


Good luck.

Nichole said...

Congrats!

NH Knitting Mama said...

I am in tears cracking up... My husband finally asked what I was reading, so I shared. Now we're both cracking up. Thanks for the great story.

Channon said...

Beautiful shawl! We should have a shawl party... Anne should be able to tear herself away from work long enough to get mail soon... I haven't swung over to see if Stormy has her prize in hand yet either.

Great story. The cute boy who had to read aloud in my class is now a teacher. You never know...

AllyB said...

You sound like the best kind of teacher to me...HUMAN! It's great that you can relate to your students. The more fun you have the more they'll have too and it's amazing how much you can learn when you're having fun. Good for you! You should get a bonus!

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

oh, that shawl is lovely, lucky you.
And I am giggling about your class, that would have been something to see. Laughter is contagious. I'm sure the kids appreciate it.

Bubblesknits said...

ROTFL I remember those classes! It seems I had a teacher that laughed with us, too. :-)