Friday, September 28, 2007

Fall Felted Bag Exchange Weekly Topic # 1

As of this weekend, the season has officially changed on the calendar - but what makes Autumn feel like Autumn to you, and why? Well, I'm a teacher, so getting back to school seems to set the stage for autumn, even though school starts about four weeks before autumn arrives around here. Students, lesson plans, and decorating my "back to school" classroom with apples gives me my first nudge, even if I'm not ready for summer to end yet!!

Next, of course, is the weather! Living in North Dakota, we experience four very distinct seasons. In the fall, the air has a different feel to it--less humidity, maybe. It's clear and crisp, and scented with the smells of falling leaves and smoke. When I pull up to the curb and school, I can hear the crunch of leaves beneath the tires of my car; and of course beneath my feel when I walk!

There's a "cozy" feeling about autumn.... probably knowing that winter is coming, along with warmer clothes and knitted afghans! Oh, and knitted, felted slippers!!

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love, love, LOVE smelling smoke from fireplaces in the air. Someday, I hope to have a fireplace of my own to contribute to the smell of autumn!

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is your Knit 1, Tea Too Swap pal checking in. I know I'm a tiny bit late, but your goodie box is going out with the mail tomorrow afternoon. I'm rather far away from you so watch the mail end of the week and early next week.

Laurie said...

Hello kindred elementary teacher!

You have the joy of the color changes with the crisp snap of colder weather. I miss that...here in north central California, we have such a mild winter. I do have to say, though, that I enjoy having a garden year around and my lemon (and lime) trees are wonderful.