Monday, September 3, 2007

Wanna Go For A CAR RIDE???....

CAR RIDE: Two words you never say at our house unless you plan to follow through. And that means taking the two hounds with you on your journey, wherever that may be. The other side of that coin is that it's fun to take them along, and the riotous meyhem that occurs after saying those two magic words is entertainment. Pure and simple.
Rule #1: Don't say it until you're actually ready to leave. Then, just make an offhand comment to hubby, such as, "I think I'm going to go for a car ride." Here they come, somehow roused from their nap by those two words as if they were prodding irons. They stand at attention, looking straight at me, heads cocked, ears perked.

Then I say it: "Do you guys wanna go for a car ride?" (Answer is ALWAYS "yes") They beeline to the front door, and there they carry on the likes of which anyone who's seen it cannot believe. Jumping... Growling... Rolling... Friendly biting. You can't talk to anyone above the sound of the "rumble". If we recorded their noise and played it when people come to the door, no one would ever come into this house. Never. Ever.
I tried to get a picture of the rumble, I really did. But with
my camera skills it just can't be done. All I got that
was'nt just a blur was this butt shot, with too many
shoes, a foot, and a dangling leash in the background.
Anyway, once this little scnerio has played itself out (and it can go on for a long time if we keep repeating "those words"), we leash 'em up and head out.

"Okay Mom, I'm ready. It's time to get this show on the road."

"Me, too. Start them engines."

Away we go. First stop: The bank. "That's always fun, cause usually somebody at the drive through window says something friendly-like, and somtimes they even give out doggie treats." Next stop: The Post Office. "No big deal, but it's fun to see people look at us and smile when Mom's running in to mail her bills."
"Aw shucks, Mom just drove right by Petco. She doesn't like to take us there anymore, because we get so excited (SHE says "out of control", but that's not true) that she can't hang onto us. For some reason she doesn't like being pulled down the aisle of a pet store on her face behind two exhuberant dogs. Where IS her sense of adventure??"
"Oh, sure. We should've seen this coming. She's stopping at Michael's. It's not Petco, but we do get to sit and watch all kinds of corny people going here and there while she's inside. We usually get at least five minutes, maybe ten."
"Hey, Jaydie! Is that a McDonalds I see?"
"I think so, Flex. Can we go, Mom? Please. Can we??"
Next stop: McDonalds. Yup. I haven't eaten all day, and I love their Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad. I get a salad and a Coke, and the beasts get (I can't believe I'm admitting this!!) a hamburger. Plain. Just one. To share. Eight bites. Four each.
Contrary to what my dogs believe, I DO have a sense of adventure, so we stop at Caribou on the way home for an iced white chocolate mocha. And doggie treats. That nice girl at the window gave the beasts a treat! All is now well in dog world, and we can go home. It takes so little to entertain the dogs. And ya, it takes even less to entertain me........

11 comments:

Gnat said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi! I'm excited about the "Fall into Autumn" Dishcloth Swap!! Your puppies at really cute!!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Oh my gosh, I used to have a pup JUST LIKE THAT! You couldn't say the word "ride" without a complete freakout!

Alaina said...

Way Too funny....LOL

We have the same problem at our house - just sitting down to put shoes on gets Max's attention...and if you say the word..."ride"... he dances, howls, barks, jumps...well, you know...

Sounds like a fun day for everyone concerned LOL

Lisa W. said...

great post, all we have to do is pick up the leash or mention the word "go" and we have a pack frenzy on our hands...usually at least 1 goes on a ride...when my big girl (Irish Wolfhound) LuLu goes, she always gets either a cheeseburger or an ice cream cone of her own from McDonalds!

Nichole said...

I can't totally relate... and GREAT pics! For ours its either a plain burger or some plain "munchkies" (munchkins) at Dunkin' Donuts.

Kati said...

Great pics!! We have a very similiar reaction in our household with an English Springer Spaniel and a St. Bernard -- when you utter the word "walk" (ears perk and the staring begins) - add wanna go for to the beginning and all bets are off. The 3 foot high "springing" begins. Dogs are so much fun!!

Dorothy said...

I bet all kinds of people are entertained by the puppies in the car. I know I would be.

AllyB said...

That car ride sounds like loads of fun! When I get the leash off the hook my dogs go crazy too! Then they drag me half the blog and I drag them the other half. I think they wear themselves out just thinking about the walk. lol

Knit'inCrazee.... said...

Isn't it so nice to have dogs that want to be seen with their mom.LOL.

Fall Felted Bag Exchange sure is going to be FUN!

Channon said...

Ride, walk, ball, kibble... All are words we avoid in our house unless we want the dogs to go nuts!

CharCharBinx said...

OMG@@@ SO CUTE!~