Sunday, October 7, 2007

And They Call it "The Golden Years"....

I know there are others of you who are faced with the struggle of watching your parent(s) grow old. It's so hard; such a heartache. My mom is a treasure, and always has been. She's almost 86 years old, and is blessed with a sharp mind, excellent general health, and a sense of humor that ROCKS! What she doesn't have is good joints. Both her knee and hip were replaced on one side, and now the other knee is so bad that her leg is useless.

Sometimes she can't get up out of her chair. Sometimes she can get up, but then can't move for 20 minutes because her knee won't support any weight. She has a scooter, but has so much trouble getting on and off of it that it's dangerous. She's fallen five times within the last few weeks because her knee gives out, and down she goes. Thankfully, she's not been seriously hurt because of the falls.

Yesterday morning she called me at 7:30, needing my help because she'd been on her scooter since 2:00 the previous afternoon and couldn't get off by herself to go to the bathroom. That's 17-1/2 hours.

My brother came home yesterday, and tomorrow he and I are taking Mom to an orthopedic doctor. She more than likely needs a new knee, but at her age they may not want to do it, especially given her history of having a very difficult time recovering from surgery. She was in the hospital for 21 days when she had her hip replaced, and we thought we were going to lose her. Unless there's something they can do for her, she won't be able to live alone any more. My little bro and I are heartsick at the thought of Mom having to live in a home, especially since her only problem is mobility.

And of course my mom is only one of the millions of elderly who struggle and agonize to get through each and every day. I know it's part of life, and we all have to do it, but getting old stinks. The "GOLDEN" years.... uh uh.... doesn't seem very "golden" to me.

6 comments:

Alaina said...

I am facing similiar problems with both my 86 year old Gramma and my 65 year old mother...

Gramma is failing fast...mind sharp as a tack...but joints and eyes are going fast...it's just heart-wenching to watch..she still lives alone...and going into a home will not be good for her...

And mom is in the early stages of either Alzheimers or dementia..we can't seem to get any answers from the doctors as far as what is wrong...so, reverse problem...body works but mind seems to be failing fast...

It sucks getting older and watching the people you love struggle, knowing that they may someday soon not be a part of your life...

Hope you get good news from the doctors.

NH Knitting Mama said...

I'll pray that you get a good response from the doctor, and to give you all strength.

Channon said...

There's a lot of truth in that. You and your brother, and your mom, are in my thoughts and prayers. That's so tough. I can tell you that when we put my then 90+ year old grandmother in assisted living with heavy hearts, she actually blossomed. She had felt like a burden to her family, and also enjoyed being around people her own age.

Bubblesknits said...

I hope all goes well with the doctor. I get so frustrated when I feel like I can't do anything to help the people I love. Maybe the doc will have a good solution. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Dorothy said...

Alana, I will be praying for you, your brother, and your mom. I can imagine how difficult these decisions are to make.

Grace Yaskovic said...

Alana, my thoughts and prayers are with you, I have mobility issues and am scared to death of the future. I can empathize with her! Hugs to you all! Grace