Thursday, November 29, 2007

Winter Wonderland Topic of the Week #4

What is the ideal setting for enjoying the perfect cup of coffee? Who would be there - or would you be alone? Inside or out? Morning or night? With food or just the steaming cup of joe?

Ideal setting.... well that depends. This time of year it's sitting is in my favorite chair in the living room, gazing at my Christmas tree! The coffee can be black or with a good shot of International Delight. If it's time for breakfast, a good muffin is great, but most of the time all I need is the coffee.

I do have one friend that comes over to knit with me, and we love to drink coffee, visit, and knit. When she's here, we often have a goodie with our coffee. One good piece of chocolate is all that's necessary--or maybe a biscotti.

Early summer is one of the most perfect times of the year to enjoy coffee outside. First thing in the morning is such a fun time. I just love to sit at my patio table with a cup of coffee and gaze at my surroundings: flowers, trees, birds, squirrels, etc. My dogs come out with me, and I love to watch them play and stretch out in the sun. Then, later in the afternoon when the sun has passed over the house and my patio is in the shade, it's time for round two!

Typing this reminds me to be thankful for these peaceful, quiet times. This week I've been drinking my coffee out of a styrofoam cup sitting beside my mom's hospital bed, and that is not cozy. I took her in Monday evening, and have been there every waking moment since then except for the time I'm at school. The good news is that the tests they've been running have been coming back negative, for which we are greatful. We've got a tough stretch in front of us trying to keep her safe until she is strong enough to get her knee replaced, but we'll just take it one day at a time. Please keep my sweet mom in your prayers.

4 comments:

Cass said...

Oh Alana, I'm so sorry to hear your mom is in hospital. But so glad you can be there with her. I'll be keeping you both in my prayers. xoxo

Coffee Swap Pal said...

I'm sorry about your mom too, and will keep you in my prayers too. Our private hospital has a coffee cart in the lobby, run by one of the local coffee houses, so visitors don't have to suffer through hospital cafeteria coffee!

Dorothy said...

I'll be praying for you, your mom, and your family! Hugs.

Robin said...

While browsing through the entrants for this Swap, and according to this weeks Topic...I'm so glad I clicked on your blog.
First things first, I'll keep you and your family in my thouhts and prayers.
Secondly...your picture~~the boxers! My four-legged nephew is a boxer, he just turned 12 years old and is the sweetest dog...his name is Hank.
Thirdly (the stuff we are supposed to be chatting about) is the total enjoyment of coffee. Like you this time of year I enjoy my Java while sitting in front of my Christmas tree. I'm anxiously awaiting our local coffee shop to roast their special Holiday Blends!
I'm thoroughly going to enjoy reading more of your blog.