Saturday, January 19, 2008

Winter Doldrums Topic #1~~

Dishrag. Dishcloth. Face cloth. I've seen folks get all fired up in forums when someone refers to their knit or crocheted creation as a dishrag! What do you call them? Hmm... I'm sitting here, actually pondering the difference between a dishcloth and a dishrag. Anne, only you could get me to do this!! Funny thing is, I'm not sure what I call them. Probably more often a dishcloth, but I know I say dishrag, too. Dishcloth probably sounds more "sophisticated", but come on, we're cleaning the kitchen here, how sophisticated to we need to be.
Also, is there a difference between a dishrag and a dishcloth? Not that I'm aware of, unless dishcloths are new and spiffy, while dishrags are old and dingy. Or perhaps, dishcloths are the lovelies we knit and crochet, while dishrags are the store-bought creatures.
How bout a facecloth? Well, can't say as I've ever knit one of those, but I've thought about it. Maybe a facecloth is more open and lacy. More, shall we say, delicate, perhaps!?!
Are they all really the same thing? I'm thinkin' ya, they probably are.

Buy hey!! I knit me one this week! It's my first, FO of 2008. (I know, I'm a slacker.) It's a real purdy dishcloth. I mean dishrag. No, what I really mean is facecloth. Good grief, I don't know what it is!! Do you know what it is?
by Rhonda K. White
Yarn: Sugar & Cream Twist, blues/white
Needles: Size 7 Lantern Moon

10 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

Ooh...that turned out pretty!

secret said...

That is a pretty cloth, not looking rough enough to be a rag. Congrats on a 1st for 2008. your dishcloth pal

Anne said...

Ooh I like it! I've finally bookmarked that pattern - Channon seems to adore it too and yours looks stunning so I'm just gonna have to try it out!

Rachel said...

whatever it's called, it sure is pretty!

Nichole said...

LOVE the dishclothragfacewiper! :)

Dorothy said...

Alana - it's beautiful!

NH Knitting Mama said...

The dishcloth turned out great!

I am having a brain cramp (please forgive me)... did I send you my address?

Dorothy said...

You've been TAGGED! Check out my blog for details!

vegasangelbrat said...

I don't know what it is other than Gorgeous!! Wish I could knit...lol
Good for you on your first FO for 2008!!! Good job!

Anonymous said...

I just want too take time too Thank everyone for doing what you do and making the community what it is im a long time reader and first time poster so i just wanted to say thanks.