Sunday, February 10, 2008

A "300 Posts" Celebration~~

Nancy is having a contest to celebrate her 300th post! Go over and congratulate her, and please remember to tell her I sent you!

As part of her celebration she's asking us to share knitting tips and tricks, so I've been pondering what I might share, and have come up with..... not much! Here are a couple of ideas, though.

Those brightly colored plastic "springs" that are used to hold the tips of your needles together on your WIPs are also good for (maybe even better) keeping your sets of smaller dpns together. Especially all those small sock sizes that can look so much the same. Just wrap one of those springs around them, and they can all be in a box together and not get mixed up.

I don't know yet if this is a good idea or not, but it is something I have been experimenting with. I have found fastening ends on dishcloths to be a problem. I've been told it's not cool to use knots, but with the wear and tear that dishcloths take, the woven in ends do tend to work their way out. So, what I've been doing is weaving them in and then I split the plies of the yarn so I have two strands of two plies each. I take one strand under the nearest stitch, preferably one that's kind of tucked down into the work, and then I tie a square knot with the two strands. The knot is tiny, and often can't even be seen. Time will tell how well this works, but I though it was worth a try.

2 comments:

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

thank you for your link and your tips for my #300! I still love your dogs. :-)

Jane Doe Jenn said...

I didn't realize it wasn't cool to tie knots on the end of a dishcloth. Sometimes I make it into an extra loop when I give them away, so they can be hung. I really haven't gotten feedback to know if it is well received or not.

I like your tip about those springy things. I just got my first set of double pointed needles, so it's good I keep them separated before I get any more of them.