Saturday, February 9, 2008

As She Knits, So She Rips~~

Do you see that little glitch in the alternating yarn-overs? Ya, well so did I. I'd made some little goof, now I can't even remember what it was, and that little "oopsie" was what remained after I repaired it.I knit a couple more rows, studied the situation, and decided it was a very small thing in the whole scheme of things, and I could live with it. I'm making a wrap, which IS a pretty large piece, so one itty bitty mistake, no? So, I spent the rest of my evening watching the subtle color changes and seeing my knitting grow to almost seven inches by the time I quit for the night.

This morning I got up, made coffee, and decided to pick up my knitting. Somehow in the light of day, everything had changed and I could no longer stand the mistake. After some sleep, my perfectionism kicked in and I knew I had to remedy the situation, which meant reducing a whole evenings knitting progress to this:
I could've (should've!!) ripped last night, when it would have cost me about two rows. But no, I waited until I could rip row after row after freakin' row! The worst thing is, I think I knew deep down in my gut that I wouldn't be able to stand the mistake, and yet I forged ahead. What's up with that?

Oh well, after picking up the stitches I knit three rows to make sure everything is in order, and it is, so now I can knit it all again, but with greater peace of mind. Maybe tonight. My goal is to get back to where I was, plus a decent chunk more, before I hit the sack tonight. Hopefully. It's a pretty stitch pattern, though, don'tcha think?
It's cold and windy here today. My son had to open Starbucks this morning, so headed off to work at 4:45 a.m. In his sleepy stooper he'd managed to lock his keys in his bedroom, and his spare keys in the bathroom (he's going to be just like his dad, which is scarey), so, being in a rush, I let him take my car. Well, at 4:45 this morning, we were having a blizzard, and he shortly called me saying that he couldn't see even two feet in front of him, and "What should I do?".

He was presently trying to turn around on this road where he couldn't see his nose in front of his face (take a breath, mom!). Since he had my car, and hubby is out of town, there was no way I could go "rescue" him if something happened. I told him to get off that open road and take the residential streets where the blowing snow might not be so bad, and visibility a little better. It took a while, but he finally called that he'd arrived at work safely.

I convinced one of my dogs to come sleep with me, and when we woke up three hours later, the snow had stopped and the sun was shining. If you weren't up during the night, you wouldn't believe we'd had such a storm. The wind is still strong, though, so I'm sure traveling in the open countryside is no picnic. It's so bitter cold out there that the kid didn't even want to go to Target with me when he got home at noon, and we'd been planning that little "outing" for a couple days. Oh well, I can live like Mother Hubbard a little longer, I guess. How long can you live on coffee??

Oh.... some things I CAN knit. And they usually turn out pretty good. Things like dishcloths. I finished a couple using the DW Cloth pattern, and they're great. I do like that pattern. This one is made out of Honeysuckle Cotton. It's funny how you can't see the little bars on the one side where the colors match up. Then look at this one!! OOOOOh-eeeee, if I do say so myself!! Aren't those colors most grand? Just don't ask me what I used, cuz I don't know. It's hand-dyed, and I got in on ebay last summer, and now I could kick myself for getting rid of the tag. (I know, right?) It's only 3 ply, so it knit up a little thinner. I like the way it feels. And looks. And the way the colors patterned.

6 comments:

secret said...

I hate you went frogging, but the pattern is pretty. I think Lace work is pretty. Great dishcloths.

Bubblesknits said...

OOOOH! I love that last dishcloth! The colors just pop.

Alaina said...

Love your shawl - Those colors are awesome - keep posting pictures :)

We have the winds also - bitterly cold and so windy - just cuts you to the bone...

Glad son got to his job okay - My kids are coming back from their dad's today - I hope they don't have problems...

Son, Jeremy - down at University MN - Morris campus - told me they were in the middle of big blizzard yesterday - I bet that was the same storm cell you ended up getting...

Stay warm - happy knitting :)

Dorothy said...

I LOVE the pattern and the yarn of your wrap!

I'm pretty sure you can live on coffee for days. Although, chocolate helps. And in a real pinch, pizza delivery is always good!

Stay warm!!!

chanknits said...

Isn't it funny how suddenly that switch flips in our froggin' head?! Same thing happened with my recently finished lace project, and I'm so pleased with it now that the ripping was worth it.

I too LOVE that last dish cloth and the way the colorway seems to make such a subtle pattern of its own.

Jane Doe Jenn said...

I hope you post a photo of your finished shall, the color looks so lovely!

Cool how your DW dishcloths turned out... I used the exact same pattern to make one for my secret pal in the Winter Doldrums swap! Here is my dishcloth. It was my first time using those colors and I think it turned out interesting.