Friday, February 15, 2008

The Deception of The "Free Issue"~~

We all get them. Those magazine solicitations where we can get a free issue, and then if we don't want to subscribe, all we have to do is write "cancel" on the bill. These things really bug me. Big. Time. Bug.

I look at them, thinking that eventually some of the publishers will figure it out and it really will be an offer for a free issue, but so far that's only happened once, and that was years ago now. Have you noticed how the issue is only "free" if you DON'T subscribe?? If you don't want their stupid 'zine, then you write cancel on the bill and keep the issue they sent. However, if you DO want to continue receiving the magazine, then you pay the subscription price, and receive 11 (or 5, or whatever number plus one equals their yearly number of issues) for the regular subscription price.

So it's not free. It then becomes the first issue of your paid subscription. Those who subscribe get nothing, and those who say "phooey on you" get the highly sought after free issue. When I've actually taken the time to check regular subscription prices, my case is only substantiated, because the amount is the same as when you're a part of the "free issue" debaucle.

Just this week it happened again; this time with Interweave Knits, which is a magazine I would consider subscribing to. But, after all was said and done, the free issue was no longer free, and I would save 40% off the newsstand price. Well for cryin' out loud.... I can do that with a coupon at Michael's, plus there I can pass on an issue if it happens to be a dud.

Is it just me, or are there others of you who think this is just plain stupid? The last offer pushed me over the edge, and I had to get it off my chest. I feel better now. Do you think less of me?

3 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

Nah. It's not just you. I was noticing that with e-cards. Most of the free ones have gone to 30-day free trials. You have to go ahead and send them all your payment info, before they'll even let you send anything. Kind of annoyed me. I just think that if they're offering a "Free Trial", they shouldn't be asking for credit card info.

Dorothy said...

I definitely do NOT think less of you! Everyone encounters something that bugs them. And I have realized that if you subscribe, you pay for your "free" issue, and that stinks.

I'm a big fan of buying at Michael's, and passing on issues you don't want. (Thank you, 40% coupons!)

For me, it's the ads we get for Gym Memberships. Only $10/month! And then you go, and they want like, $300 to sign you up! CRAZY!

Maggie Ann said...

I totally agree with you! The Michaels coupons work better for most mags & books. Plus like you said, you can look thru the whole mag and SEE what you are getting. It does anoy me when I go to JOAnns and they have tacked up thier 10% off sale on books & mags. Then I just go up to Michaels with the coupon t hough. No problem! Now, my problem is to REALLy make things out of my mag & book stash. I don't seem to have as much motivation as I imagine I do while in the store. grin...wondor why?