Sunday, May 18, 2008

Just Enjoying the Evening~~

Finally an evening where I can just sit outside and enjoy! Some of the first summery days we've had have been accompanied by winds that just about knock you off your feet. Matter of fact I believe I was quite the spectacle leaving the grocery store yesterday.I was doing my Saturday morning "box" run in my continuing effort to have enough boxes to move my mom out of her apartment next weekend when my brother and sister-in-law are here to help. Well, I spent considerable time fitting boxes one inside the other, getting as many as possible in one trip. This way I could fill my shopping cart once and be on my merry way. Did quite well... had them fit together in a creative puzzle-like fashion and tucked and balanced on my shopping cart. Piled high enough I had to peek around them to see where I was going. What I failed to factor in was the gale force wind blowing outside.

Ya, I know... you're already a step ahead of me. Once I exited the store the wind hit the broad flat surfaces of my boxes and off they went, sliding across the parking lot with me hot on their trail trying to bring them into submission with my foot, while at the same time trying to control the cart (also not an easy task). A pretty sight, I'm sure... especially from behind. Oh well, if onlookers were adequately entertained, then I'm good. Anyhoo, I managed to wedge the runaway boxes into a bike rack, rush to my car with the cart and prop it against the side of my car while I went back for the naughty boxes. I thought I heard them laughing... do boxes laugh???

Well, one might think I would have learned from this experience, but one would be wrong. I managed to repeat a different version of my stupidity at the second grocery store. Not the SAME mistakes... new and different ones! That's gotta be a good thing, right?
Then I got to my mom's apartment, only to find myself struggling again, this time with my butt in the air and my shirt blown clear up to who-knows-where! An elderly gentleman sitting in a car parked next to mine must have had his chuckle for the day. Strong winds and a bunch of empty boxes just do not mix!

On a different note, my blogoversary contest ends tonight at midnight, and I'm anxious to draw the winners. Since I work in the morning, I won't be up that late, but will draw them tomorrow, and notify the winners as soon as possible. Yea... it's been a fun party!

7 comments:

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

I had an experience where a bunch of glass broke at a windy craft show, so it could always be worse.

Cat said...

LOL I'm sorry I'm laughing, I know I shouldn't. I'm glad you were okay though.

Hugs!!!

Channon said...

No wind stories, but I did bounce a FULL sheet cake that would only fit on the bottom rack of the grocery cart out into the street... Luckily, I was shopping with a friend and she quickly caught it before any real damage was done!

ikkinlala said...

I don't think boxes laugh... could it have been the onlookers?

Grace Yaskovic said...

strong winds are blowing here in NJ too!!!

Georgi said...

I do think boxes laugh, in their own private way. Aren't you glad you couldn't hear them? :-)

Alaina said...

Too funny!!!

You probably made that old guy's day!!!